XII century, Gosh village
22.1 km east from the city of Dilijan of Tavush region of RA.
It is located at the edge of Gosh village, on the right bank of Getik river.
It is one of the major religious, educational and cultural centers of the middle ages. In 1188, with the support of Prince Ivane Zakaryan, Mkhitar Gosh founded it near the Getik monastery, which was destroyed during the earthquake and the congregation was moved here. At first it was called New Getik, after the death of Mkhitar Gosh (1213) it was named Goshavank.
Between 1191-96 with the support of Prince Vakhtang of Haterk and his brothers, Mkhitar Gosh built the monastery's head, St. Astvatsatsin Church (architect: Mkhitar Hyus).
Between 1197-1203, next to the eastern side of S. Astvatsatsin Church, the vestibule was built (architect: Mkhitar Hyus).
At the beginning of the XIII century, Mkhitar Gosh built the chapels of St. Arakelots and St. Hripsime of the Monastery, as well as the wooden church of St. Soul; on the top of the southern hill of the monastery he built St. Ascension Chapel-Tomb, where later he was buried (1213).
In 1231 the brothers Martiros and Grigor built the St. Grigor Church at the south-eastern side of
Between 1237-41, almost next to the southern wall of the vestibule, Prince Grigor Tgha, who was the manager of Amirspasalar Avag Zakaryan built the St. Gregory Illuminator Church; due to its extraordinary luxury and elegance of the decoration the church was called "amazing" by Kirakos Gandzaketsi.
During the reign of Father Martiros (before 1241), towards the north from vestibule, the wooden vaulted library of the monastery was constructed, these were connected with an arched corridor; next to it, the temple was constructed. In 1254 near the tomb of Mkhitar Gosh, Archimandrite Khachatur and Barsegh built the domed St. George's Church.
In 13th century Goshavank was a major religious, educational and cultural center of Armenia. There was a high-quality educational institution there, which in historical sources was called a college, a university, a seminary. Armenian and foreign languages (Greek, Latin), grammar, philosophy, rhetoric, music, writing art, painting were taught in Goshavank doctrine. Kirakos Gandzaketsi and the monk were educated and acted here; later those continued the traditions of Goshavank at the schools they founded. Many manuscripts were copied and created in Goshavank; those were kept in the monastery's library.
The first work of the Armenian legal thoughts was written here, "Judgment Book" or "Book of Judgment" authored by Mkhitar Gosh.
Christian Armenia ․ Encyclopedia, Yerevan, 2002, pp. 220-221